Skip Top Navigation  Skip to Main Content
Looking For..?
Library Home Page

About the Library
(continued)

1921: Miss Anne Sample replaced Mrs. Sandler as librarian.

1936: A fire damages the Library.

1950: The county joined together with the city to support the library. It was decided that a County librarian would be hired because in order to get state aid it was required that the librarian have a professional degree. Miss Anne Sample remained the City Librarian.

1951: Mrs. Grace Rodman Neighbors was hired as the County librarian and bookmobile service was begun using the Transylvania County bookmobile part-time.

1952: A used bookmobile was purchased from Buncombe County. Mrs. W.B.W. Howe was hired as a professional librarian to replace Mrs. Neighbors. Mrs. Howe resigned a few months after she started and there was a gap of 3 years with no professional librarian.

1956: Miss Mary Kent Seagle was hired as professional librarian.

1957: Long time City librarian, Miss Anne Sample retired. The Friends of the Henderson County Public Library was established. In December, a new Ford Vanette was purchased to serve as a bookmobile. A contest among school children resulted in the new bookmobile being dubbed "Ridge Runner".

1958: Desegregation begins at the Library. Henderson County was still a segregated community when a group of African American women and children came to the library on King Street to check out books. Mary Kent Seagle issued library cards and the new patrons were able to check out materials.
(Source: A Brief History of the Black Presence in Henderson County )

1961: The Library building was enlarged to accommodate it's growing collection.

1966: Miss Mary Kent Seagle resigned as librarian. Mrs. Robert Marshall became librarian in June of that year.

1967: It became apparent the library needed new larger space and a search began. Eventually the property at 301 N. Washington Street was considered(site of the Women's Club) and the County Commissioners purchased the property.

1968: Construction of the new library began.

1970: The New library at 301 N. Washington St. opened for business.

1977: After delivering books to the far reaches of the county for more than 25 years the bookmobile service comes to an end.

1977: The Fletcher Library opened in a mobile classroom on HWY 25.

1982: The Etowah Branch Library, sponsored by the Etowah Lions CLub, opened in a mobile classroom.

1983: The Library received a $5,000 grant from the State Library to fund a feasibility study for computerizing library records.